Novak Djokovic had a stellar tennis record in 2015, winning three out of the four grand slams (runner-up in the other), the ATP World Tour finals for the fifth time, a record six Masters titles and reached 15 consecutive finals (winning 11 of them) in attaining an 82-6 record (31 wins against top 10 players!!) and US$21.6m for the year.
I noticed that all his losses for the year were to players older than him and I looked up his record against younger players. Here is a list of the players younger than Djokovic who have beaten him in his entire ATP career. The month refers to when the associated tournament started.
- Ernests Gulbis (Jan 2009)
- Filip Krajinovic (May 2010 – Djokovic retired after losing the first set)
- Juan Martin del Potro (Sep 2011, Jul 2012 and Mar 2013)
- Kei Nishikori (Oct 2011 and Aug 2014)
- Sam Querry (Oct 2012)
- Grigor Dimitrov (May 2013)
That’s right, only six players have had this honour for a total of nine losses. After his loss to Dimitrov at the Madrid Masters he has won 71 of his last 72 matches against younger players, losing only to Nishikori in the 2014 US Open semi-finals. He is currently on a 40-match winning streak and to the end of 2015 his record is 130-9 against younger players (career: 686-146). As a comparison here is the record of Murray, Nadal and Federer against younger players not named Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray or Rafael Nadal.
- Murray: 118-19
- Nadal: 177-17 (including 41 in a row from Nov 2009 to the end of 2011)
- Federer: 517-61 (the higher numbers show the clear generation gap)
Tennis Abstract: ATP and WTA Match Results, Splits, and Analysis